CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 18, 2009

Unemployed - AGAIN!

I am sorry to have to report that I am once again unemployed. Over half of our staff was released on Friday due to "lack of work." The only employees who survived were our designers (who actually HAVE work) and our managing editors. I should have been surprised, but I wasn't. I have basically been getting paid to do absolutely nothing for the past 3 months. To most people, that sounds like the best job ever, but it actually was not fun at all. In my field, the amount of work you have has a direct relationship to job security, so I think many of us knew this was coming.

This most recent layoff has left me wondering whether publishing is the best career for me. I have actually been pondering a change for quite some time, but this sort of sealed the deal. I love writing, and I love teaching, but I don't love working for large corporations. I have never felt that I have been making any sort of difference. Some people are just happy doing whatever they can to make money. That isn't me. I need to feel like I'm actually doing something, helping someone, making my mark. Up until now, I have been just another employee, occupying just another gray cubicle, doing just what is expected of me, but nothing extraordinary.

Once again, I have come to another fork in the road. This one does not have a really clear sign that points me in one direction or another. I am planning to enjoy a nice summer at home with my kids while I take some time to figure out which path I am meant to take. You know what they say - when one door closes, another one opens. Something better is out there for me.

No comments: