CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 1, 2008

Traditions

This week, Matthew's class is talking about family traditions. I had to sit down with him tonight to help him with an assignment in which he he was to write about family traditions associated with a particular holiday. Of course, he chose Christmas! It is definitely his and Ryan's favorite time of year. And mine and Harold's too. When it comes to Christmas, the two of us become children all over again. I love everything about this time of year. It really is magical.

Anyway, Matthew and I had so much fun remembering our holiday family traditions. To kick of the season, we go to Young's Tree Farm and cut down our own Christmas tree. There is just something about wandering out into the field and finding that right tree. It's usually a bit lopsided, or missing some needles in one spot. It might lean a bit to the right or need a good trimming on the bottom. By the time we return with the sled, our noses and ears are usually freezing (despite our best efforts at bundling up!). Thank goodness the farm offers free popcorn and hot chocolate!

Once we get home, it's time to decorate. Over the years, we have accumulated quite a collection of ornaments. We have homemade ornaments from my and Harold's childhood and ornaments that we have received as gifts for ourselves or the kids. We have so many that we can no longer fit them all on the tree! It's so hard to choose which ones to put up. The thing I love most, though, is the finished product. The kids tend to lump all of the ornaments into certain spots (usually wherever they can reach), leaving the tree partly naked. I don't bother to fix it, though. I love the imperfection. :)

On Christmas Eve, we leave a plate of cookies and a mug of milk (for Santa) and carrots and a bowl of water (for the reindeer). Last year, we sprinkled "reindeer food" on the front lawn. Then it's off to bed for the kids, who always hope for snow.

Christmas Day is just the best day ever. I'm usually up before the kids because the anticipation is too much for me! I love the looks on their faces when they come into the living room and see the gifts under the tree. This year will be especially fun because of the newest little member of our family. She was too young to really participate last year, so it should be pretty neat to see what she thinks of everything. I'm predicting she'll love the wrapping paper and not really care about what's inside!

After we finish opening gifts, we always enjoy a big pancake breakfast. Then, the kids play with all of their new things, probably longer than they will at any one time until the following Christmas! I think that this year, Matthew and Ryan are old enough to understand that some children are not as lucky as they are. We have talked a little bit recently about what it means to be thankful for what you have. I plan to have them choose several old toys to donate to our local children's hospital and battered women's shelter. I want them to understand that Christmas is just as much about giving as it is about receiving. I know how easily that ideology is lost in the hustle and bustle of the holidays. It is my hope that this is something we will continue to do each year, and hopefully make another child's day a little brighter.

These are just a few of the traditions we observe as a family each year. Harold and I started out as two different people from two different families who had many of their own family traditions. Over the years, those traditions have grown and evolved into something new and special that we now share with our own children. I know that when I think about the Christmases I had growing up, I remember feelings of happiness, warmth, security, and love. I hopethat my children feel the same.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Such a good post Melanie!

Anonymous said...

:) Happy Holidays!